Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Amazon Kindle Voyage Review 2016

Wow! I purchased my 1st Kindle back in late 2007. Yes. The original Kindle. I still have it and use it occasionally. A couple of years ago, I move on to the 1st gen Kindle Fire. I just revived the Kindle Voyage and Origami case for Christmas. And all I can say is Wow!
First of all let me state that I am an avid reader, at least a few hours each day, and it took me a long time to justify the cost of owning a dedicated ereader, more so with purchasing the most expensive one on the market. But, after a few years ereading, starting with the original iPad, then an iPad mini, then a kindle fire, I finally decided to take the plunge and buy a Kindle, specifically the Voyage with 3G. Why after so many years? I think the increase in resolution and the frustration with compromise during my many hours of reading made the choice ultimately an easy one.
I read about 6 to 10 hours a week. Mostly on the Long Island Rail Road and/or NYC subways. I do a lot of standing. The Kindle Voyage is very light and comfortable to hold. The text is amazingly clear. The LED lighting is even across the entire display. I like how it automatically adjusts given the current lighting conditions.
The page turns are fast. I like how the Kindle estimates how long to the end of the chapter and I can see how long to the end of the book. I know a lot of people did not like the location system on the Kindle from day 1, it now also has real page numbers. I’ve gotten used to locations and can judge how long the book is from them. Page numbers are nice though.
I had an opportunity to use the Origami case to stand the book up the other day. I was eating lunch and wanted to keep reading. It turned out to be quite useful. So I am now sold.
I like the page turning options. I haven't yet set myself on particular method. I like both tapping the right side of the screen as well as using the new pressure sensitive buttons. I like that the left button also moves the page forward. So I can easily do page turns with either hand. I’m guessing lefties will like this too.
I can honestly say that Kindle Voyage is better than a dead tree book at this point. It works in natural light, outside, at night in the dark. When at the gym, I don,t need to fight to hold a book open. The battery lasts over a week (I can't say how long but I know it lasts at least that long). It's lighter than carrying around a book. And is easier to read than a book while standing on the train.
Judging by some of the negative reviews, people seem to not like the price tag. You can buy cheaper Kindles, so I don't get it. I am likely to spend well over 400 hours this year reading. Spending a couple of hundred dollars for that amount of entertainment is inexpensive to say the least. Couple that with how cheap (even free) Kindle books are and you get a lot of value for your money. I get a book each month from the Kindle Lending Library and often a book from Kindle First (I'm an Amazon Prime customer).
Kindle Voyage Vs. Kindle Fire
In comparison to the Kindle Fire:
It is smaller. I have the 7" HDX, and even that feels incredibly bulky next to the voyage. The resolution is so similar that the eye cannot really discern the difference (323 ppi for the fire vs 300 ppi for the voyage). My one complaint about the fire was that I generally hold the reader with my left hand, making a page turn a two handed evolution. The voyage corrected this shortfall with the PagePress sensors; I can't say enough about how this small change has drastically impacted my reading experience for the better. Another aspect that discouraged me from buying a dedicated ereader was the lack of color; I thought that books looked lifeless and bland. I wanted the cover to show the rich colors of a real book, and that is still lacking in the voyage, but the eink display feels so much more like reading an actual book it more than makes up for this shortfall. While reading, which is 99.9% of the time, this is not even a factor.
Once the libraries began the digital lending the kindle was a must buy for me, hence the original fire.
This is simply the best Kindle and purpose built reading device on the market today.


---Ads---
Best Cases for Kindle Voyage - TAGreat.com
www.tagreat.com

Find great deals on TAGreat for Best Cases for Kindle 8th Generation. Shop with confidence.
---Ads---

No comments:

Post a Comment