Thursday, February 16, 2017

Humane Live Animal Two-Door Mouse Cage Trap

Bought this to catch a little mouse that's taken up residence in our garage. Didn't even know he was THERE until I put a plant that needed repotting out in the garage for a day till I could get around to repotting it. The next day, my plant was GONE (eaten) and there was dirt on the floor from the animal's digging.
What to do? NO WAY am I going to set a conventional mousetrap and kill a mouse and then empty the trap. Nope. Not happening.
I remembered seeing these at TAGreat.com & ordered it. Set the trap the day after I got it & CAUGHT the little guy within about 4 hours of setting it (I checked the trap hourly; used 2 kibbles of dry cat food for bait).
He was pretty nervous, so I covered the trap with a paper towel while I carried him out to a hedgerow, where I set him free (instructions said to minimize human contact so as to not stress the animal--I agree). Having read another reviewer's experience of a frightened mouse running up their arm, I planned ahead & put the trap in the hedgerow, on the ground, pointed so that no matter which direction he ran, it wouldn't be toward me. Then I just took off the paper towel & pressed down on the main trigger so both doors opened simultaneously. My little guy cautiously poked his nose out of the trap, took a couple of sniffs of air, & bolted like a shot.
Trap quality is excellent and it's very easy to set, once you get the "hang" of it. Just press down on the main trigger arm, make sure your 2 locking arms for the doors are positioned at the tops of the doors, bait the pivoting bait bar inside, then position the "baiting bar" over your "main trigger" bars. Easier than it sounds; you'll get printed instructions & photos in the box.
Highly recommended! And it will make you feel good to use a compassionate solution to your mouse problem.
  • Constructed of sturdy rust-resistant wire mesh with steel reinforcements for long life and galvanized for maximum resistance to rust and corrosion
  • Mesh openings help prevent escapes and stolen bait. Trigger rod is located outside of the trap so animal cannot damage it while in the trap
  • Two gravity-action doors allow an animal to enter from either direction; sensitive trigger ensures quick, secure capture
  • Solid door and handle guard protect the user during transportation, while smoothed internal edges protect and prevent injuries to animals
  • Ideal for catching: mice, shrews, and similar-size nuisance animals
Have a question? Leave a comment & I'll be happy to help you if I can.
---------------------------
UPDATE 9/22/15 Evening: Uh-oh. On a lark, I re-set the trap this afternoon. Just checked it 10 minutes ago. I caught ANOTHER one (smaller). Let her go & set the trap AGAIN. How many might we have? We'll see...
UPDATED UPDATE 9/24/16: OK. I did not know we had mice in the garage. Thanks to this trap, I've caught and released FOUR (Mama, Papa, & 2 cute babies). The trap's been set all day today & no takers, so maybe that was the extent of the family. I've learned one other tip: set the trap during the DAY so you can release during DAYLIGHT. Unless you don't mind setting mice free IN THE DARK. Personally, I can't bear to leave them caged once I've caught them, so I like to release as soon as they're caught. GREAT SYSTEM; most highly recommended for its utility and ease of use!
UPDATE #3 2/16/17: GUESS WHAT? Mice can run LOTS faster than humans can walk. I'd re-set the trap yesterday afternoon & didn't catch anything. Till 10:30 at NIGHT. Remember my advice about not setting the trap after dark? I didn't (remember). I should have sprung the trap at dark. But I didn't. So when I did one last check of the trap last night---SURPRISE!---I caught another one! And since it was late and very dark, I decided to just let him go in the front yard. Oops. He ran through the yard, down the driveway, and back into the garage before I could walk even 5 paces. Learn from me : ) DON'T DO THAT. Because, now I have to deal with a EDUCATED MOUSE. One who, having returned to the garage, now realizes the trap is a TRAP. I may have to upgrade my bait; time will tell : )
I still most highly recommend this mouse trap--it works!
Click to check the current prices: Humane Live Animal Two-Door Mouse Cage Trap

No comments:

Post a Comment